To protect the interests of parties in employment contracts while actively promoting a healthy employment relationship in a spirit of social partnership, and to contribute towards stable industrial relations.
The Department deals with various aspects of the Industrial and Employment Relations field. The main activities of the department are:
» Conditions of Employment
• Provision of information relating to the conditions of employment in various sectors of the Maltese economy
• Regulating employment contracts in an equitable manner so as to ensure that rights and obligations pertaining to each party in the contact are observed
• Taking necessary steps to assist the parties involved in employment relationship whose employment relationship has been terminated
• To foster and promote good practices in line with existing employment legislation.
» Industrial Relations
• Facilitate a healthy relationship between employers associations and trade unions
• Providing machinery for the voluntary settlement of trade disputes and promoting such settlement
» International Relations
• To co-ordinate closely primarily with the European Union and other International Labour Organisations as well as with government bodies which are involved in the employment and industrial relations field
• To maintain contacts at the technical level with international bodies including the I.L.O in regard to international obligations ratified by Malta in the field of labour